Through our work together, we will:
- identify how communications and outreach can best advance your key operational and/or programmatic goals
- map out the possible roles and workflow to make it happen
- develop a simple framework to monitor and measure the impact and effectiveness of the strategy when it is put into practice
- complete these activities within a period of six to eight weeks
Key activities and deliverables
STEP 1: Meet with designated team member(s) and/or stakeholders to explore + understand:
- possible goals and objectives (e.g., awareness raising, volunteer recruitment, donor cultivation, etc.) that can be advanced through communication + outreach activities
- what everyone feels needs to be communicated (and to whom, both internally + externally)
- what activities (and messengers) may be best suited to reach + engage these audiences
- how this work is currently getting done (who’s responsible; any tools or processes already in place—if any)
This could include in person meetings, web conferences, or phone calls with staff members, board members, volunteers, and/or community members served by your organization. This exploratory phase will be limited to three or fewer meetings or calls.
STEP 2: Develop a draft communications strategy that includes:
- communications objectives – what will be achieved through our communications activities?
- primary and secondary audiences to be targeted – who do we most need to reach or influence?
- desired actions + outcomes – how do we hope to engage these audiences?
- tools + tactics – what communication platforms and channels will we use (and how)?
- content priorities – what kind(s) of content/information do we plan to share?
- possible metrics to target + track – how will we measure success?
This document is intended to be an actionable guide no more than 5-6 pages in length.
STEP 3: Collaboratively with your designated team member(s), review and refine the strategy to:
- ensure that it is in alignment with organizational values and operational goals
- modify it if/as needed to reflect the resources available to support implementation
- define and incorporate roles and assignments to support the finalized workflow
STEP 4: Provide recommendations regarding any remaining steps to put the plan into action
$2,400; payable in two installments. 50% paid to initiate our work together, and 50% paid upon completion of the communications strategy.
Organizations that work with me to develop a communications strategy are eligible for a 10% discount on a future Communications Support + Coaching package.
Prefer the do-it-yourself approach?
Consider participating in the Develop a Comms Strategy for your Cause webinar.