Through our work together, we will:
- identify how communications and outreach can best advance your key operational and/or programmatic goals
- map out the possible roles and workflow to make it happen
- develop a simple framework to monitor and measure the impact and effectiveness of the strategy when it is put into practice
- complete the strategy development within a period of six to eight weeks
- continue our partnership with six months of implementation support + coaching for your team
Key activities and deliverables
STEP 1: Meet with designated team member(s) and/or stakeholders to explore + understand:
- possible goals and objectives (e.g., awareness raising, volunteer recruitment, donor cultivation, etc.) that can be advanced through communication + outreach activities
- what everyone feels needs to be communicated (and to whom, both internally + externally)
- what activities (and messengers) may be best suited to reach + engage these audiences
- how this work is currently getting done (who’s responsible; any tools or processes already in place—if any)
This could include in person meetings, web conferences, or phone calls with staff members, board members, volunteers, and/or community members served by your organization. This exploratory phase will be limited to three or fewer meetings or calls.
STEP 2: Develop a draft communications strategy that includes:
- communications objectives – what will be achieved through our communications activities?
- primary and secondary audiences to be targeted – who do we most need to reach or influence?
- desired actions + outcomes – how do we hope to engage these audiences?
- tools + tactics – what communication platforms and channels will we use (and how)?
- content priorities – what kind(s) of content/information do we plan to share?
- possible metrics to target + track – how will we measure success?
This document is intended to be an actionable guide no more than 5-6 pages in length.
STEP 3: Collaboratively with your designated team member(s), review and refine the strategy to:
- ensure that it is in alignment with organizational values and operational goals
- modify it if/as needed to reflect the resources available to support implementation
- define the roles and assignments necessary to operationalize the strategy
STEP 4: Provide recommendations regarding any remaining steps to put the plan into action, including:
- systems to establish or refine
- tools and/or platforms to streamline workflow
- how best to target future training and other investments to continue strengthening organizational capacity and team member competencies
STEP 5: Implementation support and coaching
Once the strategy is completed, I’ll provide communications support + coaching to your team for a period of five months. What’s included? Learn more here.
The full cost for the communications strategy development, followed by 6-months of implementation support is $9,750.
This fee is typically paid in several installments over the course of our work together:
- Payment 1: $2,475 to initiate the strategy development
- Payment 2: $2,475 on completion of the comms strategy
- Payments 3-8: $800 each month during the implementation phase (a 20% discount from my minimum monthly retainer fee)
Prefer the do-it-yourself approach?
Consider participating in the Develop a Comms Strategy for your Cause webinar.