While Canva has been around for a while now, many folks are still unfamiliar with–or underutilizing–this incredibly powerful online design tool. And even better, nonprofits, teachers, and schools are eligible for a full-feature ‘pro’ account at no cost.
At the recent Canva Create 2023 showcase, numerous new features and enhancements were announced and rolled-out, so if it’s been a while since you’ve poked around in your account you may be surprised by what you find there.
What Canva can do for you
Launched in 2013, Canva is an online design and publishing tool with a mission to empower everyone in the world to design anything and publish anywhere. Using this web-based platform, you can:
- create a simple logo
- design collateral materials (brochures, postcards, rack cards, posters, etc.)
- create documents, charts, graphics, and videos
- schedule and publish social media posts to Facebook pages and groups, Instagram, Twitter, and Pinterest
- design and launch a simple website
- create QR codes
- design and produce logo gear or swag (mugs, shirts, labels, cards, etc.)
- organize images and brand assets (colors, fonts, logos, etc.)
- access stock photos, videos, graphics, and design templates
- tap into the power of AI to help jump-start your creative process AND enhance designs you create in Canva
And since it’s web-based, you can share access among multiple team members, contractors, or collaborators so that everyone has access to the latest files in real time.
Free access for nonprofits, students, and teachers
While anyone can sign-up for a free account, most registered nonprofits operating as a social impact organization with a mission consistent with a public or community benefit are eligible to upgrade to a ‘pro’ or ‘team’ account at no-cost.
Review the nonprofit eligibility criteria here. Teachers and students can learn more about free access to Canva for education here.
If this describes you and you haven’t applied for free access to the full suite of features available to you, it’s absolutely worth your time! The proof is in the user numbers: over 30 million students and teachers, and 350,000 nonprofits around the world are already signed-up.
A few of the features unlocked for nonprofits with pro access include:
- 100+ million premium stock photos, videos, audio, and graphics
- access for up to 50 team members on the same account
- 1TB of file storage (vs. 5GB on a free account)
- ability to create special folders for specific projects or departments
- brand controls and template locking to set which elements team members can edit, helping everyone to stay on-brand
- team collaboration features that allow for approval workflows and assigning tasks and roles
Not eligible for a free upgrade?
At $119.99 per year (or $149.90 per year for up to 5 people), paying for a pro or teams account is worth every penny for the wide array of ways you can utilize Canva to support your cause or business.